GF, DF, Paleo
Skill level: Moderate
Most store bought marinades are full of excessive amounts of salt and refined sugars plus numbered additives. This recipe demonstrates how easy it can be to create your own sauces and marinades at home with several basic ingredients. The enzymes in the fresh ingredients help to tenderise the chicken and baking it in the oven is a simple alternative to get crisp chicken without frying. I make a point of always trying to buy free range chicken, ideally also organic, for the benefit of the chickens but also because it is of a higher nutritional value.
1kg free range chicken drumsticks
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, torn
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon raw honey
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Handful cherry tomatoes, squashed
Sea salt and pepper
1) Place all ingredients in an extra-large clip lock bag, seal the bag and massage the other ingredients into the chicken for a minute.
2) Place the chicken in the fridge for at least a few hours but ideally all day.
3) When ready to cook take the chicken out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes, it will cook more evenly when it’s not as cold.
4) Heat the oven to 190°C. Line a tray with baking paper and place the drumsticks on it making sure they’re evenly spaced to help them cook evenly.
5) Place the tray in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until crisp on the outside and cooked through on the inside.
6) When cooked remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. I served mine with cauliflower rice cooked in butter and parsley and fresh baby spinach. Once cooked the chicken can be stored covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.