Serves: 2 for a meal or approx. 8 as finger food
Skill level: Easy
Eggplant is a very divisive vegetable (though I think it’s technically a fruit) - people tend to love it or hate it. This recipe is so good that even people that hate it will like it. Eggplant slices are used as mini pizza bases so the eggplant just becomes a vessel for all the delicious pizza toppings and who doesn’t like pizza?! By using the eggplant as the pizza base it makes this pizza recipe extremely low in carbohydrates but still rich in fibre, vitamins, minerals and protein. Eggplant (or aubergine for some of our international friends) itself contains lots of fibre, vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, vitamin B6 and the deep purple skin is rich in antioxidants. So what are you waiting for? Go and make some absolutely guilt free pizza!
1 extra-large eggplant cut into 1cm thick round slices
½ cup tomato paste
1 ½ cups mixed pizza toppings, I used slices of tomato, red onion, capsicum, olives and some fresh thyme but you could use meats, pineapple, baby spinach, mushroom etc
1 cup grated cheese of choice, tasty/mozzarella/feta etc
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a large baking tray with non-stick paper.
2) Lay the eggplant slices out on the tray and place in the oven to cook for 10 mins.
3) Take the eggplant out of the oven, it should be partially cooked, and start spreading tomato paste on the top of each slice. Be careful and use a spoon because they and the tray will be quite hot.
4) After spreading all the slices with tomato paste start piling on your toppings of choice and then finish them off with the grated cheese.
5) Place them back into the oven for another 10mins or until the cheese is melted and toppings are cooked. Serve immediately as a meal with a side salad or on a platter as finger food.